Monday, September 8, 2008

Pew Wreaths - Formal enough?

During discussions with my florist, I determined it was out of my budget to have pew markers. The church as double aisles... meaning each row has to have 4 pew markers. There are 21 rows in the church. I had never considered putting markers on every row, maybe just every aisles, but I had considered every 3rd aisles.

Basically, on the first and second row with the next marker on 5 row then 8 row then 11 row and so on. It totals up to 7 rows would have markers at 4 markers per row... 28 markers!

28 markers at .... yes $20 each!... is $560! What for markers on the pews... really! Oh so not worth it i my mind.

So on to plan B....

On Sunday, I took a few minutes before church to dress up one of the grapevine wreaths I purchased at Hobby Lobby (at 50% off $1.50 each!)

I didn't spend more than 5 minutes adding a few sprigs of Boxwood, Nandina, Curly Willow, and fallen Magnolia leaves (thanks Brandon and Kevin!) from my yard. I only had a small brown ribbon to use. In a perfect world, I would have used a coppery orange. So please use your imagination and add a beautiful Coppery orange ribbon on the wreath... adds a pop to the wreath.

Here are some of the results...

The question is... Are the formal enough? Are they too rustic?



















A few of the flowers that will be used in the other arrangements in the church might add more color and more "formal" feel to the wreath. Or will it? Here is a picture looking down the aisle.























Here is a pic of the pew... no marker. Anyone have any ideas on another possible "inexpensive" option for pew markers?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

One thing to be careful of... the color of that runner. Can we say CLASH with the coral color? You may want to stick with brown.

As far as too rustic, I can't tell, since I don't know what the flowers will look like, but I can see it being too rustic if you have too many wreathes. You know me - minimal is better, which is totally opposite of your desires.

MaryCL said...

Elizabeth,

Think about people entering and exiting each pew and you will note that they will either knock into the wreath on the way in or knock it totally off the end of the pew on the way out. Also, because the wreath is so big you will be impacting people's shoulders when they sit down (another source of wreaths on the floor).

Why not just go with ribbon bows with the flowers and beads that you can affix with wire and won't be in the way of people going in and out. You can set the color very well that way and it certainly shouldn't cost as much as you were quoted.